What will meditating actually do for me? There’s two ton of nonsense out there about meditation. You won’t be transported into a world of instant tranquility or experience oneness with the Universe because this is your brain you’re dealing with – not a magic wand. But the benefits of meditation will help you deal with all the crazy shit in your life.
The real benefits:
- Meditating for just a few minutes a day makes you realise how quickly you can mess stuff up. Meditating helps you find a wee bit of distance before you bite people’s heads off, become insanely jealous or have a massive sulk.
- The first thing you’ll notice when you try meditating is that your mind is chaotic, restless and full of terrible advice. It’s only when you become aware of how much crap is going on in there you can filter out the rubbish.
- Meditation is an opportunity to remind yourself what qualities you want to have more of in your life. What do you value? What kind of person do you want to be?
- You will be more forgiving of yourself and kinder to other people. You discover that everyone else’s minds are just as confused as yours. Everyone you know is trying to do the right thing and occasionally making a complete arse of it.
- Meditation wakes you up to what is actually happening right now. You squander a huge amount of time worrying about the future or thinking about the past.
- There is a growing body of science research into the benefits of meditation – these studies show improvement in how meditators handle anxiety and experience pain. There are also encouraging reports showing that it can help with depression. There is even a study that links meditation to an increase in the amount of your brain’s gray matter.
- You become a bit happier regardless of what is going on in your life. That’s because you won’t be so busy ruminating and will be more interested in the present moment.
- Meditating is not a panacea. It’s not going to turn you into the Dalai Lama or make you better in bed. But you’ll notice a real difference if you keep at it.